Update additional to Puce's answer. After hours of research, here is 'theoretical way' to determine state of your target game.
TL;DR: Use steamdb.info to confirm package's information, if AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting not set to No, your friend might be able to gift that game for you. (Provided that app information does not restrict downloading or playing that game in your region)
Technically speaking, steam organizes its store that there are "APP" and "PACKAGE".
APP is the game itself, PACKAGE is the way to obtain it. (Buying from webstore/CD-KEY etc) APP itself has no price property set, price properties are set in PACKAGEs.
There are several flags related to region locking:
- APP's prohibitToRun: Totally cannot launch the game if you are in that region.
- APP's ProhibitDownloadInCountries: Cannot download the game in that region. But 'might' be able to run it if first flag is not set.
- PACKAGE's AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries: Along with countries in PurchaseRestrictedCountries field. If AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries=No, PurchaseRestrictedCountries is exclusion list. If AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries=Yes, it is inverted, PurchaseRestrictedCountries is exclusive list. (Only purchasable in these countries)
- PACKAGE's AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting: If=No, additionally does not allow gifting from friend from other region. (This is different from price tier restriction such as gift from RU and cannot play in other region with higher price)
Step to determine
Note: We are not taking VPN/Proxy or price tier restriction into consideration, that is another topic.
- Find your game in https://steamdb.info/
- Check APP's properties prohibitToRun first, if it is there then probably you cant play anyway.
- Check if prohibitToDownload is set alone, then you might be able to run. But in this case we did not own the game yet so that would also block us. (Having the game installed in your laptop in first place is another story)
- Browse in to game all PACKAGEs that is on sale (Billing type=Store, status=Available) and look for its 'information' tab.
- If AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries=No means you cannot buy or browse it from your region (and probably why ending up in this question anyway). But if AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting is not set to 'No'. You might have some luck telling friend to gift this PACKAGE from another region.!!
Take Evenicle as example: https://steamdb.info/app/955560/info/
Below is the screenshot to its PACKAGE info.
- APP Info does not have any prohibit flag set.
- PACKAGE is clearly restricted to Asian countries including Japan (Censoring law, publisher, etc). And on top of that it also prohibit cross region gift.
Result for this game:
- If I live in Thailand, I cannot browse or purchase it. My friend elsewhere, even they can buy for himself, also wont be able to buy and gift it to me due to cross region gift blocked.
- But the game does not have any prohibit flag set, so 'theoretically' person from US buy and own this game travelling to Japan may still be able to play it. Or me from Thailand travelling to US for vacation, buy and download the game there, fly back to Thailand, I might be able to play as well.